About Me

My photo
Lover of God, wife to an incredible man, freelance writer, world traveler, and avid dreamer. I am a mother of three amazing children. To me, children are one of our greatest untapped sources of creativity, inspiration and innovation. Their dreams and abilities necessitate our investment in them. If you follow God's plan for your life, you can't fail. So ask Him to show you what it is and help you walk it out.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Old Habits Die Hard

It is so often said that old habits die hard. And  I'll be among the first to admit, there are habits that don't go down without a fight. 





That being said, I think that old adage is really just another excuse.  
An excuse is simply this: a plan to fail. When we make excuses we have an expectation of failure and the excuse is the justification for that failure.  An excuse is contingency plan for failure.  

But back to these old habits...if a new habit can be formed in 21 days, and a new habit can replace an old one, wouldn't it be safe to conclude that an old habit can die in 21 days?
I put this theory to the test. Today is day 22. I have had 22 days to form new habits.  So far, I am drinking a liter a day, preparing meals and clothes ahead of time, spending dedicated time alone with God, reading at least 2 books per month, etc.  Some habits I am still working on, but what I learned is this.  The habits that you could see on the outside, were nothing compared to the most important habit of all.  My pattern of thinking. I heard someone say that those who make excuses are prone to failure.  I believe that is because people who make excuses forecast failure in their minds. 



As I've said in previous blogs, there are days when excuses flow like a river. Well, for the last 22 days, I created a new habit of not using excuses.  My internal monologue no longer regards excuses as valid.  I see myself finishing strong.





 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Phil 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment