About Me

My photo
Lover of God, wife to an incredible man, freelance writer, world traveler, and avid dreamer. I am a mother of three amazing children. To me, children are one of our greatest untapped sources of creativity, inspiration and innovation. Their dreams and abilities necessitate our investment in them. If you follow God's plan for your life, you can't fail. So ask Him to show you what it is and help you walk it out.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Good but Not Perfect

Today was a good day.

I woke up. Read my bible, got ready, made breakfast, had fun with the girls, did some work, and went on through the list of things to get done in a day.  Now, I have been following my chore schedule and today was cleaning LT's room and the hallway.  LT has grown some, so part of cleaning his room today included putting away clothes that are too small and taking out the next size up. And taking out toys that he is now old enough to play with.


 



.  So...also on my list of resolutions was to find someway to manage my digital media and photos.  Well, I printed out some pictures to scrapbook, I bought a few scrapbooking supplies. And that is as far as I have  gotten.  Today, while I was cleaning his room, I found some empty picture frames. Then I got the idea to scrapbook a couple pages and put them in a frame.  I only had a short time to do it, so I hurried and put something together.




Then I put a scripture on his wall.  When I finished I stepped back and looked..








 


This is usually the point where I then notice that my letters aren't even, and I could have been more creative with the shadow box. Normally this would send me into a tizzy where I obsess over small details until I have spent all my time on one project and the end result is that I am still less than satisfied and also frustrated that I didn't get more done.  Then I realized, so often my motivation is killed by being a perfectionist.

Okay, so it wasn't perfect, but it was good.  

Achieving our goals is not about lowering the bar or the standard.  But sometimes, for some people, like me, who are perfectionists, you have to set standards that are doable and not dazzling.  I am often my harshest critic. 

We have to learn to let ourselves off the hook.

So today to make peace with myself, I decided that it was good, and if I still wanted to change it next week, I could do that.  I was still motivated afterward and kept moving along. 



1 comment:

  1. The letters aren't even? Heck, life isn't even.

    That was quite a touching post. Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete