About Me

My photo
Lover of God, wife to an incredible man, freelance writer, world traveler, and avid dreamer. I am a mother of three amazing children. To me, children are one of our greatest untapped sources of creativity, inspiration and innovation. Their dreams and abilities necessitate our investment in them. If you follow God's plan for your life, you can't fail. So ask Him to show you what it is and help you walk it out.

Friday, January 1, 2010

I Feel Fat


So here I am at day 1. I am going to go down the list of my usual obstacles to motivation and excuses.

#1-I feel fat, so why bother?

About a year ago I had a day that I woke up feeling fat. And instead of giving into that feeling, I decided to do a little experiment. I weighed myself. Then the next day, I felt even fatter, so I weighed myself. I did this for about a week and a half. From day to day, there was no change at all.

So I learned then that just because I feel fat, doesn't mean that I am or that I had even gained any weight. In fact, it had more to do with what I had been eating and whether or not I had any physical activity. My guilty conscience was sending me a message. I realized then that it was a distortion on the inside and not a result of what had accumulated on the outside.

So with that in mind I am going to dig in my heels and get up and do 30 minutes of aerobics...against my will.

(Later that day...) My girls came into the room while I was working out, so I turned it into a family activity. At one of my girls' gymnastics and tumble classes I watched and took mental notes.

She had the kids pretend to be animals. So I put a Semira spin on that and developed a whole routine. We started out with some yoga stretches, where we pretended to be rays of sun and flowers growing in a field. Then we went for a walk in place, and stopped at our imaginary bikes. We layed down and "peddled" on our bikes. Fast, then slowed down to go up a hill. At the top of the hill, we stood up and bent over and up 10 x's to "pick flowers". Then we jogged in place to the zoo. At the zoo we saw, kangaroos, so we had to jump like them. We also say elephants so we walked liked them and swung our trunks. So on and so forth.

It was actually quite fun and my girls were so happy to be included in the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment