About Me

My photo
Lover of God, wife to an incredible man, freelance writer, world traveler, and avid dreamer. I am a mother of three amazing children. To me, children are one of our greatest untapped sources of creativity, inspiration and innovation. Their dreams and abilities necessitate our investment in them. If you follow God's plan for your life, you can't fail. So ask Him to show you what it is and help you walk it out.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

It Matters Who You Run With

I run with a great group of ladies, (and a couple of gents).  They are all encouraging to one another and just really pleasant to be around. 
But some of them are faster than others.  And some of them are slower than others.  I usually ran with some of the slower runners because I enjoyed their company.  I honestly believed that was as fast as I could go.  After all I am a beginning marathon runner.
 One day, that all changed.  Our trainer slowed down to run with me and began to urge me on.  She told me my breathing was "mental".  I think that is a good thing...but she she told me to try speeding up some, and that I have more power than I think.
Well, she is wiser than I am and has more experience.  Only a fool won't heed sound advice.  So although it didn't seem like it, I considered what she said, and sped up a bit.  I found myself running alone.  I wasn't quite as fast as the fast runners and was a bit faster than the slow runners.  So I ran alone.
Then something happened...I discovered my own pace.  I began to speed up, and walk less.  This went on for a few runs and then "Molly" happened. (Her name has been changed to protect her identity ;-)
She is the one in the group that always finishes first.  One day, let's call it "M-day", I thought, maybe I will run with her for just a little while.  We ran and ran, and I found that the only limitation was in my head.  I found that running with her, I pushed myself like never before.  I discovered new dimensions of my abilities.
While every runner runs, not every runner is someone I should run with if I want to push myself to the limits.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. " 1 Cor 9:24 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment